Differential Geometry I
(dt. Differentialgeometrie I)
|Level, degree of commitment in original study programme||Advanced module, compulsory elective module|
|Forms of teaching and learning,
|Lecture (4 SWS), recitation class (2 SWS), |
270 hours (90 h attendance, 180 h private study)
|9 CP |
Translation missing. German original:
Studienleistung: Erreichen von mindestens 50 Prozent der Punkte aus den wöchentlich zu bearbeitenden Übungsaufgaben.
Prüfungsleistung: Klausur oder mündliche Prüfung
|German,The grading is done with 0 to 15 points according to the examination regulations for study course M.Sc. Mathematics.|
|Original study programme||M.Sc. Mathematik / Vertiefungsbereich Mathematik|
|One semester, |
Regelmäßig im Wechsel mit anderen intermediate moduleen im Gebiet Analysis/Geometrie
|Person in charge of the module's outline||Prof. Dr. Ilka Agricola, Prof. Dr. Pablo Ramacher|
- Surfaces in three-dimensional space, structure equations, first and second fundamental form, Gaussian and mean curvature,
- Examples of special surfaces (surfaces of revolution, ruled surfaces, minimal surfaces...), fundamental theorem of surface theory
- Basics of Riemannian geometry: Riemannian manifolds, connections and covariant derivatives, curvature tensor and derived curvature quantities, Einstein spaces, spaces of constant sectional curvature, geodesic curves, geodesic coordinates, exponential map, completeness properties (inner metric, theorem of Hopf-Rinow)
- physical applications of differential geometry, e.g. in special or general relativity theory
The students shall
- further develop their understanding of curved spaces and sharpen their mathematical intuition in a geometric context,
- learn to describe and xpress mathematical properties in a coordinate free way,
- learn to associate extremal geometric properties (such as curvature or curve length) with physical variation principles,
- practice mathematical working methods (development of mathematical intuition and its formal justification, training of the ability to abstract, proof techniques),
- improve their oral communication skills in the exercises by practicing free speech in front of an audience and during discussion.
Translation is missing. Here is the German original:
Keine. Empfohlen werden die Kompetenzen, die in den Basismodulen sowie im Aufbaumodul Funktionentheorie und Vektoranalysis vermittelt werden.
- Barret O'Neill, Semi-Riemannian geometry. Academic Press, 1983.
- Michael Spivak, A comprehensive introduction to differential geometry, Berkeley, California: Publish Perish, Inc.
This page describes a module according to the latest valid module guide in Wintersemester 2018/19. Most rules valid for a module are not covered by the examination regulations and can therefore be updated on a semesterly basis. The following versions are available in the online module guide:
- WiSe 2016/17 (no corresponding element)
- SoSe 2018 (no corresponding element)
- WiSe 2018/19
- WiSe 2019/20
- WiSe 2020/21
- SoSe 2021
- WiSe 2021/22
- WiSe 2022/23
The module guide contains all modules, independent of the current event offer. Please compare the current course catalogue in Marvin.
The information in this online module guide was created automatically. Legally binding is only the information in the examination regulations (Prüfungsordnung). If you notice any discrepancies or errors, we would be grateful for any advice.