Implementation of Database Systems
(dt. Implementierung von Datenbanksystemen)
|Level, degree of commitment in original study programme||Advanced module, compulsory elective module|
|Forms of teaching and learning,
|Lecture (4 SWS), recitation class (2 SWS), |
270 hours (90 h attendance, 180 h private study)
Course requirement: Successful completion of at least 50 percent of the points from the weekly exercises as well as at least 2 presentations of the tasks.
Examination type: Oral or written examination
|German,The grading is done with 0 to 15 points according to the examination regulations for study course M.Sc. Computer Sciences.|
|Original study programme||M.Sc. Informatik / Vertiefungsbereich Informatik|
|One semester, |
Jährlich oder zweijährlich im Wintersemester
|Person in charge of the module's outline||Prof. Dr. Bernhard Seeger|
- Architecture of database systems
- File organization and access structures
- One-dimensional index structures: B-trees and hash methods
- Multidimensional index structures
- Index Structures in Database Systems
- Lock protcols and recovery for index structures
- Algorithms for database operators
- Query optimization
- Physical optimization of databases
- New developments in database systems
- Acquisition of knowledge to assess the performance of database systems,
- Techniques for the development of efficient data structures and algorithms in database systems,
- Analysis of external data structures regarding runtime, storage space and throughput,
- Dealing with index structures in commercial database systems,
- Knowledge about query optimization techniques and their availability in commercial systems,
- Insights into architectures of modern database systems.
None. The competences taught in the following modules are recommended: either Algorithms and Data Structures or Practical Informatics II: Data Structures and Algorithms for Pre-Service-Teachers, Database Systems.
- Kemper, Eickler: Datenbanksysteme, Oldenbourg.
- Härder, Rahm: Datenbanksysteme. Konzepte und Techniken der
- Implementierung, Springer.
- Saake, Heuer, Sattler: Datenbanken: Implementierungstechniken, Mitp.
- Garcia-Molina, Ullman, Widom: Database System Implementation, Prentice Hall.
This page describes a module according to the latest valid module guide in Wintersemester 2020/21. Most rules valid for a module are not covered by the examination regulations and can therefore be updated on a semesterly basis. The following versions are available in the online module guide:
- WiSe 2016/17 (no corresponding element)
- SoSe 2018 (no corresponding element)
- WiSe 2018/19
- WiSe 2019/20
- WiSe 2020/21
- SoSe 2021
- WiSe 2021/22
The module guide contains all modules, independent of the current event offer. Please compare the current course catalogue in Marvin.
The information in this online module guide was created automatically. Legally binding is only the information in the examination regulations (Prüfungsordnung). If you notice any discrepancies or errors, we would be grateful for any advice.