Algorithms and Data Structures
(dt. Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen)
|Level, degree of commitment in original study programme||Basic module, required module|
|Forms of teaching and learning,
|Lecture (4 SWS), recitation class (2 SWS), |
270 hours (90 h attendance, 180 h private study)
Course requirement: Successful completion of at least 50 percent of the points from the weekly exercises as well as at least 2 presentations of the tasks.
Examination type: Written examination
|German,The grading is done with 0 to 15 points according to the examination regulations for study course B.Sc. Computer Sciences.|
|Original study programme||B.Sc. Informatik / Informatik Basismodule|
|One semester, |
each summer semester
|Person in charge of the module's outline||Prof. Dr. Christian Komusiewicz, Prof. Dr. Bernhard Seeger|
- Analysis of algorithms and data structures: design principles, complexity, asymptotic analysis
- Elementary data structures: lists, stacks, queues, sets, trees, maps, strings, graphs
- Elementary algorithms: searching, sorting, insertion, removal, transformation, and traversal
- Implementation variants: balanced search trees, hash sets, Huffman codes
- Polymorphic (generic) data structures: containers and iterators
- Advanced programming techniques, e.g. thread programming, Design Patterns
- Design of algorithms and data structures,
- Analysis and cost estimation,
- Abstraction techniques,
- Deepening of programming skills,
- Knowledge in analysis, design and implementation of software,
- Practice of scientific working methods (recognition, formulation, solving problems, training of abstraction skills),
- Training of oral communication skills in the exercises by practicing free speech in front of an audience and during discussion.
None. Basic knowledge of programming is recommended, as taught in the basic module Object-oriented Programming.
- H.P.Gumm, M.Sommer: Einführung in die Informatik, 10.Aufl., Oldenbourg 2013;
- G.Saake, K.-U.Sattler: Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen. 4. Aufl., dpunkt 2010;
- Th.H. Cormen et al.: Algorithmen – eine Einführung. Oldenbourg 2007;
- K. Mehlhorn, P. Sanders, M. Dietzfelbinger: Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen. Springer Verlag Berlin; Juli 2010.
- T. Ottmann, P. Widmayer: Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen, Spektrum Akademischer Verlag; 2012.
This page describes a module according to the latest valid module guide in Wintersemester 2020/21. Most rules valid for a module are not covered by the examination regulations and can therefore be updated on a semesterly basis. The following versions are available in the online module guide:
- WiSe 2016/17 (no corresponding element)
- SoSe 2018 (no corresponding element)
- WiSe 2018/19
- WiSe 2019/20
- WiSe 2020/21
- SoSe 2021
- WiSe 2021/22
The module guide contains all modules, independent of the current event offer. Please compare the current course catalogue in Marvin.
The information in this online module guide was created automatically. Legally binding is only the information in the examination regulations (Prüfungsordnung). If you notice any discrepancies or errors, we would be grateful for any advice.