Index and Storage Structures
(dt. Index und Speicherstrukturen)
|Level, degree of commitment in original study programme||Advanced module, compulsory elective module|
|Forms of teaching and learning,
|Lecture (2 SWS), recitation class (2 SWS), |
180 hours (60 h attendance, 120 h private study)
Course requirement: Successful completion of at least 50 percent of the points from the weekly exercises as well as at least 2 presentations of the tasks.
Examination type: Oral or written examination
|German,The grading is done with 0 to 15 points according to the examination regulations for study course M.Sc. Computer Sciences.|
|Original study programme||M.Sc. Informatik / Vertiefungsbereich Informatik|
|One semester, |
Zweijährlich im Wintersemester
|Person in charge of the module's outline||Prof. Dr. Bernhard Seeger|
- file systems
- B-trees and variants
- External Hashing
- Multidimensional index structures
- Index structures for spatial databases
- Temporal Index Structures
- High-dimensional index structures
- Index Structures in Database Systems
- concurrency and recovery for index structures
- Acquisition of techniques for the development of external data structures and algorithms,
- Evaluation of external data structures with regard to runtime, storage space and throughput,
- Creation of data structures within a system-oriented environment,
- Dealing with index structures in commercial database systems,
- Practice of scientific working methods (recognition, formulation, solving problems, training of abstraction skills),
- Training of oral communication skills in the exercises by practicing free speech in front of an audience and during discussion.
None. The competences taught in the following modules are recommended: either Algorithms and Data Structures or Practical Informatics II: Data Structures and Algorithms for Pre-Service-Teachers.
- Kemper, Eickler: Datenbanksysteme, Oldenbourg.
- Cormen, Leierson, Rivest, Stein: Algorithmen - Eine Einführung. Oldenbourg.
- Härder, Rahm: Datenbanksysteme. Konzepte und Techniken der
- Implementierung, Springer.
- Saake, Heuer, Sattler: Datenbanken: Implementierungstechniken, mitp.
This page describes a module according to the latest valid module guide in Wintersemester 2021/22. Most rules valid for a module are not covered by the examination regulations and can therefore be updated on a semesterly basis. The following versions are available in the online module guide:
- WiSe 2016/17 (no corresponding element)
- SoSe 2018 (no corresponding element)
- WiSe 2018/19
- WiSe 2019/20
- WiSe 2020/21
- SoSe 2021
- WiSe 2021/22
- WiSe 2022/23
The module guide contains all modules, independent of the current event offer. Please compare the current course catalogue in Marvin.
The information in this online module guide was created automatically. Legally binding is only the information in the examination regulations (Prüfungsordnung). If you notice any discrepancies or errors, we would be grateful for any advice.