This entry is from Winter semester 2021/22 and might be obsolete. You can find a current equivalent here.
Linear Algebra incl. Foundations of Mathematics
(dt. Lineare Algebra mit Grundlagen der Mathematik)
|Level, degree of commitment||Basic module, depends on importing study program|
|Forms of teaching and learning,
|Lecture (4+2 SWS), recitation class (2 SWS), |
360 hours (120 h attendance, 200 h Vor- und Nachbereitung inklusive Studienleistungen, 40 h Vorbereitung und Ablegen von Prüfungsleistungen)
Course requirement(s): 1) Successful completion of at least 50% of the weekly exercises as well as at least 1-3 presentations of the tasks. 2) Two written tests (45-120 min.).
Examination type: Oral examination (20-30 min.)
|German,The grading is done with 0 to 15 points according to the examination regulations for study course LAaG Mathematics. Im Falle des Nichtbestehens stehen für die Prüfung insgesamt 4 Versuche zur Verfügung.|
|One semester, |
each winter semester
|Person in charge of the module's outline||Prof. Dr. István Heckenberger, Prof. Dr. Sönke Rollenske, Prof. Dr. Volkmar Welker|
Foundations of mathematics:
elementary set theory, number domains, induction, functions, propositional calculus and its use in mathematical proofs
- Vector spaces and linear maps
- Matrices and linear systems of equations
- Determinants and eigenvalues
- Euclidean vector spaces and selfadjoint endomorphisms
- geometric aspects of linear algebra
The students can
- understand and use the basic principles of linear structures, linearization and coordinate systems and are familiar with the associated basic concepts,
- apply mathematical methods to concrete questions,
- can distinguish between mathematical intuition and formal deduction and can use and relate both components,
- know and understand the principles of strict axiomatic construction of mathematical theories through the comparatively simple structure of a vector space,
- have basic knowledge and linear algebra skills required for the entire degree program, especially for the modules Analysis, Algebra, Complex Analysis, Geometry.
The students know and understand the basic principles of linear structures and their conceptualization in linear algebra. They are familiar with basic mathematical methods and the importance of building an axiomatic theory.
The module can be attended at FB12 in study program(s)
- LAaG Mathematics
When studying LAaG Mathematics, this module must be completed in the study area Basic Modules.
Most translations on this page are (as of now) unchecked automatic translations. We are in the process of checking them. Until then, there might be errors due to faulty translation.
This page describes a module according to the latest valid module guide in Winter semester 2021/22. Most rules valid for a module are not covered by the examination regulations and can therefore be updated on a semesterly basis. The following versions are available in the online module guide:
- Winter 2016/17 (no corresponding element)
- Summer 2018 (no corresponding element)
- Winter 2018/19
- Winter 2019/20
- Winter 2020/21
- Summer 2021
- Winter 2021/22
- Winter 2022/23
- Winter 2023/24
The module guide contains all modules, independent of the current event offer. Please compare the current course catalogue in Marvin.
The information in this online module guide was created automatically. Legally binding is only the information in the examination regulations (Prüfungsordnung). If you notice any discrepancies or errors, we would be grateful for any advice.